Another recipe I wanted to share that my mom has made many times previously, but never gluten free! It was a hit at C’s 4th birthday party the other weekend, and was asked to share the recipe. Wanted to throw out this disclaimer: the batter is SUPER thick. You won’t think it’s correct, but it is supposed to be that way! As the batter cooks, it expands and spreads! 🙂
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups gluten free flour (we used the Namaste Costco brand and the Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 GF baking flour and both work great!)
- 1 pint washed blueberries
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Mix together butter and 1 cup cane sugar (the other 1/2 you’ll need will be to top with at the end!)
- To the butter and sugar add: eggs, gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Spray a 9×14 pan with coconut oil or avocado oil, then spread half the mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- Wash 1 pint of blueberries and dry well. Roll in 2 tbsp gluten free flour so the blueberries don’t all rise up as it’s being baked. Spread over mixture and cover with remainder of mixture. *Tip- dollop the remaining mixture evenly across the pan, then use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture across the top evenly. Again, it is a very thick batter, so it might seem like it’s not right, but it is! 🙂
- In a small bowl mix: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup cane sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamon. Evenly top your coffee cake with this sugar + cinnamon mixture.
- Bake 35-40 minutes at 325 degrees! Do not overcook! If you have a hotter oven, start with 35 minutes and go up from there!
Enjoy this tasty coffeecake!! A fun option for the 4th of July – do half blueberries, half strawberries for something festive to share with family and friends this weekend!