this post was in partnership with King’s Hawaiian, but all opinions are my own! 🙂
It’s one of my husband’s favorite weeks of the year! It also just so happens to be (almost!) his birthday week!!
Deer hunting opener is a fun time for our family, and it’s a time my husband especially gets excited for. We get excited for our family time together at “the farm”, and us girls (plus the kiddos!) get excited for some shopping and exploring while the guys are in the stand!
In anticipation for the exciting week ahead (maybe you’re getting ready for deer hunting too?!) I wanted to share a favorite “deer camp” week recipe that us girls like to make one night that is SO easy, using the best rolls!
Hawaiian sweet rolls. Raise your hands if these are on your table every year for Thanksgiving? I can’t remember a Thanksgiving that these rolls weren’t a part of our family meal my parents made us! They are so soft and just melt in your mouth! We like to use them for this easy ham + swiss slider recipe that takes about 5 minutes to prep, and about 15 minutes to cook and they turn out so melt in your mouth nummy!
w h a t y o u n e e d . . .
1 package of Hawaiian
1 lb ham
1 package swiss cheese
3 tbsp melted butter (oh yeah!) 🙂
*optional 1-2 tbsp dijon mustard + 1 tbsp poppy seeds added to the melted butter!
w h a t t o d o . . .
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using a cerated knife, cut the full package of hawaiian sweet rolls in half. I try my best to keep all the top half of the buns together, no biggie if they don’t all stay together though!
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in microwave for 15-20 seconds.
- Spray 9×13 pan with avocado oil, then place bottom half of Hawaiian rolls in pan and spread 1/3 of the melted butter across the buns.
- Evenly place swiss cheese slices across the buns until all of the bottom half of the buns are covered.
- Repeat this same process with the ham! Sometimes if I have extra ham I will double this later to make them a little more meaty!
- Put top half of the Hawaiian rolls onto your layers.
- Spread remaining melted butter evenly across the top of the buns.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top of your hot cross buns and set those babies in the oven for 15-20 minutes! If your oven runs hot like mine does, check at 15 minutes for sure! The tops should be golden brown!
As I mentioned in the ingredient list, you can add 1-2 tbsp + 1 tbsp of poppy seeds to the melted butter that you spread on the inside of the bottom half of your buns before layering them with cheese and ham + over the top of the buns before you pop them in the oven- my MIL makes them this way and they are just as tasty, just have a slightly different taste to them!
If you aren’t heading to deer camp this week, this meal is the perfect quick dinner meal for a busy night of activities, if you’re having friends or family over to watch a big football game this coming weekend, or even to make or bring to your community group! I also love having this one for the Super Bowl… but that’s a ways out and you’re gonna want to try these before February! 😉
I hope you and your family enjoy these tasty little sandwiches!
**joggers seen here can be found by clicking here, get your first two leggings for $24!