Bringing you the easiest (and quite possibly the tastiest) way to use up all those leftover hot dog buns during the 4th of July festivities next week that I shared a couple weeks back in my Instagram stories.
Hot Dog Bun French Toast! Yep. My husband tried this a handful of weeks ago when he was trying to figure out what to make all of us for breakfast, and being the resourceful (can’t waste anything!) man that he is, he decided to whip up some french toast for us using the extra buns we had sitting around. He looked up a recipe, but we switched it up a little to make it our own, but you really could use your own favorite french toast recipe for this, too!
w h a t y o u n e e d . . .
- Leftover hot dog buns – we made 5 open-faced buns for the two of us + Collins for reference.
- Butter as needed
- 3 Organic Valley organic free-range eggs
- 1 cup Organic Heavy Whipping Cream (what makes it IMO!) …I love Trader Joe’s HWC! You can also do half milk half HWC too or use half and half creamer as well… the possibilities are really endless here, but the HWC version makes the batter a little more thick and we preferred that version over others! But this recipe is so flexible, another reason this is a GREAT recipe during the 4th where you might be traveling or at the lake and don’t have all the ingredients.
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Maple Syrup
- Powdered Sugar
- Berries from 4th of July festivities- blueberries, raspberries, strawberries
- Whipped cream (optional) 🙂
SPICEOLOGY SPICE CODE – COURTNEY10 FOR 10% OFF YOUR ORDER!
Link for dotted CREAM pitcher found here!
Link for BUTTER dish found here!
w h a t t o d o . . .
- Heat up skillet over medium heat.
- In a medium dish, whisk together eggs, milk/heavy whipping cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Separate hot dog tops and bottoms, soak in your mix for a minute, add to skillet and cook through on both sides (about 2-3 minutes on each side) …I forgot to separate my buns like Dakota did, and they were still good, but liked how much thinner and nicely they cooked when he halved them!
- Top with powdered sugar, leftover mixed berries from 4th of July festivities like blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries, and if you’re feeling extra fancy you can put a little dollop of whipped cream on them if you have that wherever you’re spending your 4th of July at- home, the lake, at a friend or family’s home!
*Optional- you can open-face the hot dog buns, keeping them attached, then make a french toast sandwich and stuff them with berries, whipped cream, or other toppings for a fun twist for whoever you’re serving them to!
**Updated- we tried these with leftover hamburger buns and they also worked well and were super tasty! Dakota flattened them when they were on the skillet with the spatula and were really good prepared that way a little more thin!*
If you make these on the 4th or at some point during next week… tag me on your Instagram posts or stories!! Would love to see your hot dog french toast! Have a wonderful 4th of July- however you’re spending it!