The super bowl is in a few days! Are you a big fan of the game or more in it for the food and commercials? I love me some football, but definitely love all the munchies + commercials. I’m here for it, all! 🙂 Although, I honestly haven’t paid much attention this year and keep forgetting who the Patriots are even playing ….Rams, I remember now after having asked Dakota about three times ;). It was so exciting having the Super Bowl in our home state last year, and the Vikings got so close to making it, so it doesn’t feel nearly as exciting as it did last year.
Anyways, I will still be watching the big game on Sunday, and wanted to (finally, sorry!) share our churro recipe Dakota and I recreated from this original one on Pillsbury’s website. We didn’t change it much, but found that the sugar/cinnamon + butter amount for the crescent rolls weren’t quite enough to our liking! We also switched up the cutting size that they recommended, because we found we liked them better when they were a little thicker!
So, for the easiest (and seriously delicious!) quick and easy dessert to make for your guests this Sunday, try out these churros! They are best when enjoyed after immediately coming out of the oven, so I would suggest making them for a half-time treat! They take about 9-11 minutes depending on your oven, so when the 2nd quarter starts, I would suggest starting to prep them and heating the oven, so that they can get into the oven just before the first half is over!
Alright, the recipe…!
w h a t y o u n e e d . . .
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dough sheet (these worked better than the 8 oz. Pillsbury crescent rolls, but those will also work if you can’t find the sheets! The sheets are just a little easier to work with, because they’re already rolled out to a uniform size!
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
w h a t t o d o . . .
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- While oven is heating, unroll crescent dough sheets and cut into 4 6×4 inch rectangles and set on a cookie sheet with parchment paper on it.
- In a small dish, mix together sugar + cinnamon and set aside.
- Melt butter, then brush 2 of the rectangles edge to edge with butter and sprinkle edge to edge with about half of the cinnamon + sugar mix.
- Place other two rectangles on top of the ones that you just put the cinnamon + sugar mix on, and press all edges together so that they do not come apart.
- Cut both rectangles into fifths (the original called for sixths, but we liked them a little bigger personally!) and twist each strip about three to four times and place back on your ungreased cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 9-11 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Immediately after you take them out of the oven, brush remaining butter end to end and sprinkle remaining cinnamon + sugar mix over the strips from end to end. My husband reminded me that more butter is better (for lots of reasons!), but mostly so the cinnamon + sugar will stick to the tops of your churro strips.
- Cool for a minute or two, then enjoy! They are best when enjoyed right away! 🙂
That’s it!! They are seriously so, so easy, and would go great with a bowl of icecream. For a fun Valentine’s Day treat you could also form the strips into the shape of a heart instead of twisting them. You can also leave them flat instead of twisting them and they become a dupe to Topper’s Pizza topper sticks… that was a happy accident on my part when I forgot to twist them while making them for some friends of ours who had come over for a play date. 😉
If you try these out, please share with me! Tag me on your stories in Instagram or send me a message! I love hearing your reviews. Please pin this recipe using one of the images provided for later use, too! Enjoy the Super Bowl on Sunday, friends!!