I asked you all if you wanted me to share my green protein shake recipe the other day in my Instagram stories, and a majority of you said YES! So, sharing is caring. 🙂
I’ve had it almost every day for several weeks in a row now ever since my husband made me this amazing peanut butter protein shake… and that turned into me turning it into a little more “green” ;). If you’ve been following along with me for a while, then it’s no surprise to you that I found a way to get a little more greens into this shake without it tasting “green” if you know what I mean. If you’ve been following along with me for a while, then you also know how much I love Vital Proteins supplements. One of the key ingredients to making this shake as green as it is, is due in large part to a product from VP that I didn’t really care for right away, if I’m being honest. But, now that I’ve found a way to add it into my diet without getting the “I’m eating straight wheat grass” taste while consuming it, I just have to share it! It tastes too good and has too many amazing benefits not to.
The Beauty Greens Collagen Peptides is an elixir of marine collagen, raw greens, hyaluronic acid, and probiotics. Woah! Per serving (1 scoop) that entails. . .
- Marine Collagen
- Organic Wheat Grass
- Organic Alfalfa Leaf
- Organic Kale
- Organic Barley Grass
- Organic Spinach
- Vanilla Bean Powder
- Coconut Water Powder
- 12 g collagen
- 12 g protein
- 3 g sugar
- 18 different naturally occurring amino acids
- Other minerals & nutrients like: Vitamin A, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Hyaluronic Acid, & Bacillus Coagulans
So with all that green goodness in mind… scroll down to view the rest of what’s in this nutrient-dense, collagen-packed protein shake!
Green Protein Shake . . .
In a blender or Ninja Tumbler add . . .
- 1/2 c ice
- 1/3 c almond milk (or just eyeball it like I do 😉 until it covers ice completely)
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Beauty Greens OR update to recipe: ***just use the greens you have on hand – we always have spinach and kale on hand from our garden that I like to throw in. You literally don’t taste it! I like to freeze some of our kale too from the garden so I don’t have to use as much ice to thicken it/make it nice and cold!
- 1 scoop Naked Whey Protein Powder (We have the unflavored kind, but there are two different flavors)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp PB (I go back and forth between peanut or almond butter depending on how I’m feeling that day or what I have available in the cupboard!)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal
- A few (and then a few more maybe ;)) chocolate chips
- 1/2 or 1 frozen banana
- OPTIONAL: sometimes I will add 1 scoop of Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin depending on if I’ve already had my daily 2 scoops or not of VP collagen. This really makes my shakes super thick and there are SO many benefits for your gut by adding gelatin into your diet.
- OPTIONAL: Sometimes I will also add a small handful of frozen cauliflower. This is a secret (not so much now) trick I do to make my shake nice and thick instead of adding more ice, which doesn’t have much nutritional value! You won’t have a cauliflower taste either, promise!
What To Do . . .
- Add ingredients listed above into blender.
- Blend together until smooth.
- If your shake seems too liquidy, add a little more ice or cauli and blend together until you have the consistency you’re looking for.
- If you like your shakes on the more liquidy side, add a little less ice than suggested above.
A Fun Idea . . .
If you’re making this for your kids or for a friend/guests you’re hosting, add the shake into a mason jar with a fun paper straw. Because who doesn’t love mason jars?! Collins LOVES having her very own shake in the mornings or afternoons when I typically make them, and having her own straw to drink it out of the mason jar is such a simple detail, but really gives her such a joy in the whole experience of having a healthy shake with mom or dad.
And just a quick 32-week bump date . . .
Aside from this shake, I have been craving the COMPLETE opposite food type on the food spectrum… anything and everything GUMMY (just keeping it real with you guys! haha!). Working in a store on the weekends that is filled with candy of this type has been VERY VERY enticing as of lately… which isn’t typical for me! I have definitely indulged here and there, but I’ve been sticking with these Annie’s brand gummies. They are so tasty and don’t bring on any added guilt! At least not for me ;).
I continue to feel more of a “stretch” in my mid-section area as this little guy continues to grow. He is SO active, too. He moves around in my tummy all day long, and I think he likes to stretch out in my tummy too, because there is always this one spot on the right side of my body that I am constantly rubbing at, because it always feels like he’s sticking his little foot up against my stomach! I’ve noticed a few Braxton-hicks from time to time, which is something I didn’t have at all with C really… or at least not enough for me to realize what it was if I did! I’m hoping that some of these new additions to pregnancy this time around is a sign that little man will want to arrive on his own naturally, but trusting God and his timing either way! 🙂 That’s why I’ve been living in anything and everything comfortable lately. I’m so happy it’s summer, so my wardrobe has stayed fairly status quo with mainly activewear shorts, tennis shoes to chase C around in, and comfortable tops. I love this grey tank I just got from Pink Blush. It is a little long in the front in the back, so it made the perfect knotted tank even with my belly!
I’ve had spouts of insomnia as of lately too… which is a bit of a bummer, because this really is prime “get as much sleep as you can” time since we’re down to the two-month mark to meeting baby boy. I didn’t have this much with C at all until nearly the very end of pregnancy. BUT- we have had a lot going on lately with the house, so I think between that and just feeling like this little guy is coming soon, and I should be in nesting mode but don’t have a space for him yet to nest… I must have some extra anxiety or stress that is keeping me up at night or waking me in the (middle of the night at times!) and keeping me awake until morning. It hasn’t happened much, but the couple times it’s been worst I’ve woken up at like 3:30 in the morning and literally have not gone back to bed… so, then I just wake up at 5 and workout and read my bible. I’ve been in prayer lately about this– just that I would completely rely on God for my strength each day and cast all my anxieties on Him, because I know He cares for me.
I hope that this shake recipe or little bump date blesses you in one way or another and that you enjoy your weekend, friends! You are so, so loved and God has given us these amazing bodies that can do amazingly hard things and are truly a temple as His word tells us (1 Corinthians 6:19)… let’s treat them well! With good nutrition and sleep (as much as we are able to get!) 🙂